Thursday, February 26, 2009

On the topic of irony

i·ro·ny (ī'rə-nē, ī'ər-) (definition by answers.com)
n., pl. -nies.

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

4. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.

5. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

6. Dramatic irony.

7. Socratic irony.

[French ironie, from Old French, from Latin īrōnīa, from Greek eirōneia, feigned ignorance, from eirōn, dissembler, probably from eirein, to say.]

***

In an earlier post, I criticized those who use incorrect grammar. Ironically, some very astute colleagues found several errors in my post. I apologize for that. In my excitement and haste I forgot to completely edit my work. My sincerest apologies to those who read it and thanks to those who caught the mistakes and corrected them.
Image by Cartoon Stock